This weekend, we took a break from working on the house to work on a different kind of house…a gingerbread house! Each year we participate in a gingerbread house decorating contest to benefit a charity that we support. This year, our house’s theme was “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” We didn’t win any prizes this year, but I think our house turned out really well!
This past week, we prepared for installation of French doors in the dining room. Ultimately, these French doors will lead to a screen porch and deck in the backyard.
First step: Order the doors! This took us a lot longer to do than planned, and of course they won’t be delivered for another 3-4 weeks. Our first problem was that we knew exactly what we wanted (see previous post) but had a hard time finding a company that provided everything. We had it narrowed to Marvin and Anderson. Ultimately, we chose Marvin doors, primarily because Tony liked their locking mechanism, they had a much wider selection of exterior color finishes, and they were less expensive.
This weekend, we finished up yard work for the fall and officially started our indoor projects. In terms of outside work, we had one last spot in the front/side yard to weed. After weeding, we transplanted the last of the pachysandra to the front of the of the side yard. In the spring, we’ll put in a paver path down the side of the house and let the pachysandra fill in.